For a Type A personality, like me, playing with Play-Doh with 'Retta is paramount to pulling teeth! Why, you ask?? Because a (nearly) 3 year old has NO regard for keeping the colors separated. It is a lesson in "chilling out" for the mom who cringes when she sees the pink mixed with yellow...and the white mixed with the green...the horror!! :) For a little perspective, I'm not creative (at all) so playing with Play-Doh as a child was not a time of tapping into those creative juices. I couldn't stand making the ice cream cones or the hamburgers or anything else that the commercials pitched because I couldn't stand the thought of my colors getting mixed together. I know it's crazy, but it was what it was. And now, at 38 years old, I'm faced with having to "deal" with Play-Doh colors getting mixed together. And I'm telling you...it's HARD. I'm getting better, but you can still catch me sitting at the kitchen table trying to separate the colors long after 'Retta has moved onto other activities.
And this is classic...today, 'Retta was extremely cranky so I took her upstairs for a nap. She proceeded to scream and cry for about 20 minutes, "I'm not tired!!!" Finally, the house went quiet. An hour and a half later, I go into her room where she popped her sleepy head up and immediately said to me, "I wasn't tired." I'm laughing as I type!
Tonight, I put my 'Retta in the tub for a bath. She had barely sat down in the tub when she looked at me and said, "Momma, I gotta go potty!". So I grabbed her out of the tub and put her on the potty...and she went! This is SOOO HUGE for us. We've been resisting the potty for a few weeks now so to have her TELL me she needed to go!!! I never thought having to help a child "go to the potty" would EVER lift my spirits. But today, my little girl put a smile on my face.
OK, so not to short change Elizabeth, let's talk about this cutie. Now that she is crawling, she has so many places to explore! Often times I will be in the kitchen working on dinner or cleaning up and she'll be in the living room playing. Then out of the corner of my eye I'll see this sweet little face poking her head around the corner crawling her way from the living room to the kitchen. And then, the smile that engulfs her face when she sees me...that makes a mommy smile.
Here's another one. Today, I was carrying Elizabeth through the house looking at pictures on the wall. I went to a family picture and asked, "Where's Daddy?". And she pointed to him EVERY TIME. That definitely makes this mommy smile!!
No comments:
Post a Comment