Monday, April 26, 2010

Angels Among Us...

My Angels Among Us 5K run was this past weekend in Durham, NC on the campus of Duke University. Thanks to so many of my friends and family, I was able to raise over $800 against my goal of $500. And while this year I was a team of 1, I have commitments for next year to be a team of at least 2!! So I guess I'll need to double my goal in fund-raising!

For the particulars of the race: Unfortunately, I made a mistake when I registered and failed to get a chip for an official time (I'll know better next year!). However, based on the clock at the Start/Finish line, I completed the run in ~37:30 at a pace of ~12:15. Had I had a chip and received an official time, I would have finished 24th in my age group (not last) and 441st overall (our of 900 competitive runners).

As a side note: Who would have thought Durham would be so HILLY!! Within the first .1 mile, we hit our first up hill climb...and it only got worse from there. Needless to say, the course kicked my butt a bit...this girl needs to hit the hills around Asheville!!

On a personal note: The experience was quite emotional (more than I had expected). It was my first time back to Duke since I'd been there with Mom. When I drove up to the campus, I drove past the hospital where Mom had here surgery, parked in the same parking garage, and saw the hotel we stayed in during those most stressful and emotional times. Then, when the race started, I found myself running a path identical to a path my brother and I had walked while Mom was having her surgery. I will always have regrets with the way I handled those days of my Mom's illness...maybe this weekend served as a start to fighting those demons.

Again, thanks to everyone who supported me in my endeavor (financially and emotionally). I am blessed to have such supportive friends and family.

Looking forward to next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment