Thursday, June 17, 2010

Politics...ugh!!

Let's get a couple of things out of the way before I begin:

Major Dad Update: He is safely back in Iraq...we are on the downhill slide to his homecoming!!

Mommy Questions: 'Retta came around the corner last night COMPLETELY slathered in lotion!! It was caked on her face, arms, legs, and hands. When questioned, she responded that she was putting her lotion on to go outside. Here's my issue: first - she was really funny looking with that lotion all over her face. Second - she knows that she needs to put "lotion" on before going out in the sun which is a good thing. Third - She got into mommy's stuff which she knows she not supposed to do (or at least she been told at least 100 times). Do you discipline or let it go??

Secondly, what do you do when your child (who has NEVER shown a tendency to do this) tears pages out of THREE books?? They are torn so much so that I cannot repair them. I am scared to leave her in her room with her books for fear that others will see the same fate!

OK, now on to my first political rant (which I promised I wouldn't do, but can't resist)...if I offend...deal with it, it's my blog!!! :)

One of the unfortunate things about being a stay at home mom is that you get to watch cable news WAY more than when you work 5 days a week. As a result you get to see events unfold LIVE rather than hear about them filtered through the 6 o'clock news reports. It is this fact that leaves me so utterly frustrated that I have to find an outlet to vent before my blood pressure spikes and my head explodes!

What happened today that has me so disgusted, you ask? The Congressional Hearings held today with BP executive Tony Hayward testifying...I give the "big bad" oil exec a thumbs up today for not playing into those yahoo congressman's hands. I only wish he would have been as bold as to address them in the way another oil exec addressed them earlier in the week...forgive me for not remembering his name or company, but he responded to a question with the following answer..."I'm just not going to to there with you. This is too important and too big of an issue to reduce the discussion down to a yes or no answer." Mr. Hayward would have been well served to have memorized that statement before entering the "hallowed halls" of Congress.

Seriously, have ANY of these representatives EVER held a job outside of Washington or a law firm? This man is the CEO of the largest oil company in the world. They have operations around the globe, and our esteemed Congressmen were dumbfounded at the fact that Mr. Hayward wasn't involved in the decision making process for the construction of this oil rig. I also find it laughable that these same people who are so appalled that Mr. Hayward "didn't know what was going on in his company" are the same people that tell the American people that we can't expect our President (CEO of U.S.A.) to be involved in all the details of the running of our government. Now, "let me be clear", I'm not suggesting that I think the President should be down in the details (unlike those crazy Americans who think he should be down in the Gulf sucking the oil up through a straw) any more than I am suggesting that Mr. Hayward should be expected to know all the construction details of ONE of a hundred rigs being built by his company.

For 58 days now, I have been hearing stories about the poor safety record of BP and that the CEO Tony Hayward is responsible. Well, today I learned that Mr. Tony has only been CEO since 2007. The other major disasters at the hand of BP happened BEFORE Mr. Hayward became CEO. Therefore, a GOOD investigation of Mr. Tony's performance would have been to look at safety records and procedures PRIOR to his taking over and compare that to the safety records and procedures AFTER he took over. But I didn't hear ANY sort of analysis like that today. What I heard were events that had happened in recent BP history, and all accountability placed on Mr. Tony. Again, I can't help but to notice the irony...all the bad things going on in the U.S. were INHERITED by Obama. He's trying to "clean up the mess he inherited"...and 2 years later we still can't hold him accountable. But Mr. Tony is a different story. He's had his job for 3 years (just one year longer than Pres. O), but he DEFINITELY needs to be held accountable for the issues he inherited. In fact, he should LOSE his job!! I'm thinking of someone else who needs to lose his job...

Again, "let me be clear" (I think if you use that phrase, it means you are really, really smart) this is not a rant in support of BP's CEO. This is a rant about the politicians in Washington. I wish the problem could be solved as easily as voting them out of office. Unfortunately, what we replace them with is rarely much different from what we voted out. Thus, leaving this stay-at-home mom frustrated, not "knowing who's a** to kick" (does that convince you that I'm engaged in the situation) with little hope that she can do anything to change it/fix it.

Ahhh...I feel better.

1 comment: