Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!!!

Our household has made it to Independence Day 2010. We are eagerly counting down the days until our hero Major Dad comes home. Major Dad is doing well and attempting to endure the extreme heat that Iraq has to offer...it's about 120 degrees over there now. Ironically, when he gets home he will think that 80 degree weather is cold and be shivering under the covers at night in bed! My mind can't comprehend that. :)

So, it's early in day as I compose this post, but I simply must pass along how our 4th is going so far...

I decided to take the girls to I-HOP for breakfast this morning (something I rarely do these days). So, I clad my girls in red, white, and blue outfits (as well as myself), buckle them in the car, and head off for the I-HOP. We get there before the rush and are seated immediately. LUCKILY, as I begin to organize everyone in their seats I look into my purse only to realize I had forgotten my wallet!! So, embarrassingly, I pick everything up and trudge back to the van, buckle everyone in again, and drive home to get the wallet. Then back to the I-HOP. Breakfast went fairly well. E'beth got a little feisty, but all in all did well. She even drank for a straw for the 1st time!! It was so adorable...I didn't realize she could do that. Anyway, by the end of the event, 'Retta was making a catapult with her fork and E'beth was cruising over to visit with the folks at the next booth. I was QUICKLY losing control of the situation!! Finally, I had corralled E'beth only to hear a loud CRASH just behind me...the restaurant goes quiet and everyone looks at the mom who's struggling to get her 1 and 3 year olds out of the restaurant to see how I will handle the fact that my 'Retta has just knocked a plate off the table and broken it. I attempted to have 'Retta apologize to the waitress but couldn't get her face out of my side. As for me, I couldn't get out of that place quick enough.

Lord, may our evening events go better than this. We are going to attempt to go watch fireworks with one of 'Retta's friends from school and family...we'll see if we make it or not.

On a separate note, Independence Day is taking on a whole new meaning for my 'Retta. She is gaining her Independence from the diaper this weekend!!! And with all my worrying and hand ringing about this issue, she's practically potty training herself. She's doing a GREAT JOB. We're on day 2 in "big girl panties" with only 1 accident thus far. I'm sure there will be more to come, but I'm shooting for sending her to school on Tuesday in panties! :)

And, let's not forget about E'beth. She's exerting her own Independence these days as she continues to walking along the walls and couches of our house...not to mention her new found hobby of climbing the stairs every time I turn my head!

Hope everyone enjoys family, food, and fireworks this July 4th. Please take a minute to remember why we celebrate this day and thank God for all his blessings and remember our military families...shake a soldiers hand or hug a military wife today!

No comments:

Post a Comment