Friday, February 26, 2010

Seeing yourself through your child's eyes...

Major Dad Update: Before I go further, I want post a message from Major Dad to get a sense of his state of mind. For "security" purposes some of the acronyms have been modified..
I am in acronym heaven right now and I forget that others do not know what I am talking about. I am the LSL at the PSM for the ETL afterall. GWOT is global war on terrorism... I know we are not supposed to call it that but the Army has not come up with a new acronym yet so we are still saying GWOT. There is probably a backlog on new acronyms. I have a briefing here in a little bit I need to get set up for. Its with the CG and RCO. I'll let you figure that one out. :) talk to you later.
Now, on to the topic at hand...

I have discovered that I have a walking mirror in my house! It's about 34" tall, weighs about 28 lbs, and has taken to following me everywhere I go with a constant request to be picked up. Does anybody else have one of these mirrors in your home?? So, what reflections have I been seeing this week...

Yesterday I spent the morning being nursed back to health by this little mirror. She mixed up several medicines, and gave them to me with her syringe (the best medicine was the "spicy" one). Then got me a pillow and blanket and made me lay down on the couch and covered me up. Then, like any good nurse, she sat down and "read" me three books.

A couple of days before this, I was put down for my nap. And again, 2 books were read to me, then I was left in the room and told to stay there as she walked out of the room. This sounded oddly familiar...like what I say when I put her down for naps and bedtime.

This little mirror has also taken to scolding our dog, Dixie, in much the same way I do. I hope that doesn't translate to a bossy big sister down the road.

Finally, I have been seeing this little mirror run around with her own little baby to take care of, and to my delight and amusement I hear what could be a recording of things I've said..."It's OK, moma's coming"..."Oh, baby...are you tired?"..."Do you want your bottle?" (speak these words in the sing song tone we adults tend to use when talking to a baby)

Through all of these experiences, my heart smiles and laughs. There is great joy in being mimicked by "your own little mirror".


No comments:

Post a Comment