Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What a bummer...

So, I've been having a bit of a bummer day/week/month/year...here comes the pity party.

My baby girl has been having a rough winter.  I've lost count of the times I've been to the pediatrician this winter.  To catch you up on the story, you need to know that my baby has been on antibiotics for ear infections since about October.  Up until a week ago it was 2 doses a day for 10 days...go back to doctor to find out the ears are not better...repeat.  Last week, we moved to a series 3 of antibiotic shots.  Now, the slacker mother in me was actually RELEAVED that I didn't have to give those syringe doses anymore!!  Forget the fact that my poor baby girl cried each time she received the shots.  What a difference a second child makes...I used to be on the verge of tears when my 'Retta got shots at this age.  Now, a little crying is nothing compared to me not having to fight a dose of antibiotics down my daughter's throat.  Anyway, today we had to go for a "re-check" on the ears.  Diagnosis:  Ears are STILL infected...have to go to an ENT specialist for a more than likely diagnosis of tubes. 

But that's not all...

A couple of weeks ago, my baby girl was at a baby sitter's house when she had a run in with the kitchen table.  The table won...she almost pulled 1 of her 2 teeth out!!!  The first visit to the dentist didn't give me the warm and fuzzy I needed.  I'm looking at the possibility that my daughter isn't going to make it to her first birthday with all of her (possible) teeth, and the dentist says, "I can't wait to see what happens with this tooth!"  Seriously...that's all he could come up with to say to me...the mom who's on the verge of tears over this?!?!  Anyway, her follow-up appointment was today.  Diagnosis:  The tooth is not tightening up...it has to come out.  :(  And oh, by the way, the bulk of the cost is the sedation which insurance more than likely won't pay for. (aaarrrggg)

I'm devastated by all this...none of this is life-threatening (which I'm thankful for)...but the mommy in me is very upset that my baby girl is going to have to go through 2 "procedures" virtually back to back which require sedation.

Well, how is my 'Retta??  She has developed a hacking cough that's driving me crazy!!  Seriously, who gets irritated at their child's NON STOP coughing???  A Slacker Mom, that's who!  She's clearly developing some sort of cold.  Her nose is running, the coughing, and her "eyes hurt".  What does that mean??  Is it sinus pressure or itching eyes??  Your guess is as good as mine.  No amount of questioning gets me any closer to where, when, why, or where my child's eyes hurt.  To add insult to injury, the doctor says that there's really nothing you can give her for the cough.  Just run the humidifier.  (I go to sleep each night to the whirring of 2 humidifiers coming through the baby monitors) 

While I'm having this pity party, let me just say that I'm so over the winter weather!!  My kids only go to school 3 days a week, and what are the days that school seems to always be closed due to weather???  MONDAY and FRIDAY!  God bless you moms out there who stay home with your kids every day all day!!  I am about to pull my hair out...my kids NEED to go to school!!  :)

OK...I'll end this post on a lighter note.  I was watching Shephard Smith on Fox News tonight, and the best story came on.  The theme of the story was about the auto industry particularly GM.  Late last year they closed the Spring Hill, TN Saturn plant, and "many" of those employees took jobs at a GM plant in Warren, Michigan.  So they interviewed one such employee...standing there (in a Michigan plant) the guy was wearing his BRIGHT ORANGE Tennessee T-shirt talking with his Tennessee accent about how he decided to move to Michigan where he knew he had work rather than staying "home" where he wasn't sure he'd find work.  The story continued, then the footage went back to the gentleman where he ended the interview with these words..."When you walk in the doors it's just the same as being "down there"...they talk a little funny up here, but's that's about it."  I had to laugh when I heard this...as a southerner who also lived "up North" in Michigan, hardly a day went by that my accent wasn't pointed out only to be told that "they didn't have accents.  Thanks to this man, everyone who watches Fox News now knows that people in Michigan "talk a little funny".  :)  God bless this man!

1 comment:

  1. Hope the ear tubes and the teeth pulling go okay...poor baby and I know it's not easy for you.
    We've tried a teaspoon of honey for the cough...not sure if it really works, but it's worth a shot.
    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete