Sunday, December 6, 2009

Christmas Cards...

Well, my Christmas cards are in the mail, and others are starting to roll into my house. While going through this traditional routine, I began to ponder the whole tradition of sending Christmas cards.

I don't know when this tradition started, but it clearly has evolved. And, admittedly, I like where this tradition has gone. What am I talking about??? Well, remember when your parents (probably your mom) sent Christmas cards? They were exactly that...cards...with a nice personal note written inside. Then as the years went by, and families became busier, those cards started to no longer have the personal note...just a signature. That's about the time I started sending my own Christmas cards. For years, I bought the cards...signed my name...stuffed the envelope...blah, blah, blah. And of course, that's the kind of cards I received. Then, the digital age started coming on. Friends (with families) started sending the photo cards. What a novel idea!!

Today, there are people on my Christmas list that I may not talk to all year, but I look forward to getting that photo Christmas card because it gives me a glimpse into my friends' lives. And, I noticed this year, that the cards have more room to write that "personal note" from my family to yours.

Now the cynical side of me has to wonder whether or not I have a "breaking point" for this tradition. As we get older, our list gets longer so we buy more cards and STAMPS! This year, it cost me as much to buy the stamps as it did the cards. My total cost per card this year was ~$1.00/card. Is there a point where I will say the cost outweighs the benefit?? I don't know, but if you ever stop receiving Christmas cards from me, you will know my answer. :)

Merry Christmas Everyone!


SLACKER MOMENT OF THE WEEKEND: Saturday, I put my daughter in her bed in her room with a video playing on a PORTABLE DVD player...just to get some peace and quiet!!

SLACKER ARMY WIFE CONFESSION: I get up each Sunday morning and get my kids (and me) to church so I can put them in "child care" while I go to the Worship service. Worship has taken on a whole new meaning for me...I get my "me time" in any way I can. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Molly,
    I'm so excited about your blog! And I love your Slacker moment and confession...I totally get it! Your kids are beautiful, and I'm so happy you still send us a Christmas card :)
    Give Mark a hug from Randy and I, and we'll be following the blog closely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My hubby and I are totally re-thinking the Christmas card thing too, we do the family picture thing, but I'm thinking next year we may have to limit sending cards to immediate family and somehow not hurt any feelings in the process.

    ReplyDelete