The Christmas holiday is upon us, and I am getting an early Christmas present from my in-laws. My "big girl" is visiting my sister-in-law and her kids for a few days while my "baby girl" is spending some quality time with her Granny and Pop Pop (my mother and father-in-law). While I love my kids more than words can express, I had reached my breaking point. There is a lot of guilt associated with being in a state of NO PATIENCE. And as every parent knows, the baby and toddler years are nothing if not a test of parent's patience. So this break came just in the nick of time.
But this much needed break didn't come without a slacker moment...
I'm not sure, but maybe I was the ONLY person around that didn't realize the severity of the winter storm heading our way on Thursday evening. Our original plan was to leave Saturday morning for our excursion to my SIL's house and then on down to my MIL/FIL's house. But Friday morning set us on a different path...At 6:00 am I received the recorded message that school was closed for my girls that day. I looked out my window (and as is typical) there was nothing on the ground or falling out of the sky so I thought no biggie. But, unusual for me, I couldn't go back to sleep due to this nagging feeling I had. So, I jumped in the shower and got myself ready before the girls woke up. By the time they woke up, it was snowing outside, and the National News was reporting that we were going to get 6" of snow (not the 1-3 originally reported). That was it...NO WAY was I not going to get my "much needed break". (remember, this is a Slacker Moment story so selfishness should be expected) I put my "big girl" in the high chair with a bowl of cereal and Mickey Mouse on the Tube, and I set off on the race to get packed and out of town before it was too late. By 9:30 a.m. we were packed and loaded into the car and ready to pull out. We were on our way!!! For the next half hour, I repeatedly told myself..."This is NOT a good idea". I was driving on the snowiest roads I've driven on since leaving Michigan. The 7 miles from my house to the interstate were on roads that hadn't been plowed yet. What was I thinking?!?! Oh yes, MY MUCH NEEDED BREAK! So on we went. We hit the interstate, and conditions marginally improved...average speed increased to 20 mph from the 10 mph before. Say it with me...This was not a good idea. Luckily, after about 10 miles of driving, the roads improved dramatically, and by the time I was at the bottom of the mountain I was driving in predominantly rain. Cut to the end of the day...12 hours later...and having driven the last 4 hours in a torrential downpour...I arrived at my final destination where we will be spending Christmas, and I am getting my (say it with me) MUCH NEEDED BREAK.
While I have been dealing with the guilt of my selfish slacker moment this week, I must say that the guilt is fading quickly because my batteries are recharging and I'm looking forward to our holiday festivities.
Major Dad Update: We'll be picking him up at the airport tomorrow for a nice Christmas leave. He'll be spending time with his family as this is the last time they will all be together before he heads overseas. His departure date will be sometime in early February...more to come as he gets in country.
Glad you got your break in. I was disappointed that the program was canceled at school and we didn't get to see the kids as "angels". :) Merry Christmas!
ReplyDelete