Can someone tell me why this "slacker" is baking cookies for her girls' teachers (or cake for their pediatricians)??? I am not my mother!! :)
This is a tradition that is or has fallen by the wayside as moms get busier and busier. Today, teachers would prefer to get the $5 gift card to Starbucks (or so says my sister the teacher). So why do I do this??
These are my reasons...
1. I believe people still appreciate thoughtfulness and appreciation for the work they do (especially when it's working with kids). I remember the look in my teachers' eyes (and bus driver's eyes) when I gave them the Christmas cookies. Granted, in high school, this "tradition" opened me up to more than a little chiding from my friends, but looking back, I'm a better person for carrying those cakes and cookies to class every Christmas.
2. I want my house to be a home where me and my kids work together in the kitchen. This is a tradition for MY family as much as it is for the receivers of the goodies. My kids are still young so they're not helping much yet, but they are seeing the activity...they will be in their aprons soon enough.
3. Spending time DOING something for someone else makes me a better person. And, in a small way, I'm honoring my mother.
SLACKER CONFESSION: Let's face it, this Weight Watchers gal doesn't need to be spending too much time in the kitchen baking cookies. The fudge is store bought.
Major Dad Update (BTW - that's my hubby): He's at Camp Shelby...still in the U.S....we do get to spend Christmas with him.
No comments:
Post a Comment